house fire prevention

Many people are aware of the basics of home fire safety, like not keeping burning candles unattended, and having a fire extinguisher on hand, and yet there are over a million residential house fires every year. Here is a list of some of the most common causes of house fires and some things you can do to prevent them from happening.

Clothing Dryers

Be sure to closely follow the manufacturer’s instructions if you’re installing your own vent and use only the recommended duct material. If you are unsure about how to properly install any part of the dryer, consult professional help. If your dryer is installed and getting regular use, clean out the lint filter after every load and the dryer vent every few weeks. Lint has a way of collecting behind and under your dryer, so be diligent about checking all around it when cleaning.

Kitchen Attentiveness

Cooking in the kitchen demands a keen eye and great deal of responsibility, even though it is a regular occurance. There should always be a fire extinguisher nearby and charged, and everyone in the house should know how to use it. The stove and oven should be kept clean. I know it’s a lot to ask from the cook, but built up grease and splatter can easily ignite when the burners are being lit, or contribute to spreading a fire that has already started. It’s also why you should never leave your pots or pans unattended. There are many variables that result in catastrophe, so stay mindful and close by. Finally, know how to spot a grease fire and how to put it out, and teach your family how to as well.

Outdated Faulty Wiring and Outlets

Be knowledgeable of your home’s electrical capacity, as overloading circuits is easy and can start a fire hidden in your walls quickly. If you live in an older house, have a certified electrician check over your wiring and breaker box to make sure everything is up to code and in proper working order.

Extension cords can be another big issue. Never run them under rugs or daisy-chain multiple cords together. There are also many different kinds of extension cords, surge protectors and, power strips. Extension cords without a third grounded hole tend to heat up quickly, are made of cheaper material, and can cause a fire. Only a surge protector will help protect multiple devices from a power surge. A regular power strip has no built-in protection. Lastly, for any large appliance, be sure it’s plugged into its own circuit and has a heavy duty power cable, or appliance grade extension cord.

If you do happen to suffer through the trauma of a fire large or small. Contact us here and we will help evaluate, control and rebuild your home immediately.