How to detect if there is mold in your home
Mold is a dangerous and scary thing to find in your home, but it’s even more frightening to know that it’s so hard to detect. Read below to find out more about mold and how you can determine if your home has been contaminated by it.
What does mold look like?
Mold typically manifests in your home as a dark, wet spot on your ceiling or wall. It can be gathered in one area, splotchy, or even create a dripping pattern. If you see anything that appears to be mold in your home, it’s very important to get it professionally checked out right away to avoid any potential health issues for you and your family.
What does mold smell like?
The smell of mold is definitely unpleasant, and smells like something moist is in the room. It can often be compared to the smell of wet clothing or rotting wood. If you smell an earthy, moist smell in your home it could potentially be mold.
If you believe it to be in a specific wall, smell around an outlet port to try to determine if the smell is stronger. The outlet provides a clearer pathway into the wall, so it should smell worse if you’re in the right area of the home.
Keep in mind that you may have gotten used to the smell of your home, including the mold. Have a family member or friend visit and ask if they smell anything unpleasant in your home, telling them that you’re concerned about mold so that they’ll be honest and forthright about it.
Where is mold most likely to be found?
Mold can typically be found in areas of your home that are dark and moist. Examples of this are:
- Utility room
- Under sinks
- Windows (from condensation)
- Shower curtains
- Ceiling corners
- Air ducts & vents
- Places recently damaged by water
How mold can affect your health
Mold has serious, negative effects on human health, so it’s vitally important to find it and get rid of it as soon as possible. This is especially the case if those living in your home are children, seniors, pregnant, or have serious pre-existing health concerns that may lead to a higher vulnerability to mold.
Health Symptoms of Living in a Home with Mold
The symptoms of living in a mold-infested home can often go overlooked because of how common they are. They’re similar to those that you’ve experienced with a common cold.
- Chest and nasal congestion
- Coughing and sneezing
- Watering, dry, or sore eyes
- Sore throat
- Skin irritation
NOTICE: If you’ve started exhibiting any of these symptoms, and you have reason to believe that it’s related to mold, reach out to our experts right away. The symptoms get significantly worse and more serious if the mold isn’t addressed as soon as possible.
CLICK TO CONTACT OUR MOLD EXPERTS
The Different Types of Mold
The most common harmful molds that you may find in your home are:
- Stachybotrys Chartarum (Black Mold)
- Serpula Lacrymans
Testing for mold
If you suspect you might have mold in your home, you need to test for it right away to keep you and your family safe. You can either try to do it yourself or have a professional do it.
DIY Tests for mold
The DIY mold test kits are less expensive but at the cost of less reliability and having to be able to see the signs yourself. You can test for mold by yourself using:
- In-home testing kits
- To use a borescope, drill a hole into your wall, push the fiber optic cord through, and view the monitor to look for any signs of mold (typically discoloration)
Professional Testing for Mold
If you have reason to believe that you have mold in your home, we highly recommend reaching out to a professional to inspect your house. The health issues and property damage that mold can create can damage your health and that of your family members or pets. Contact our mold experts to set up your mold inspection.
What should I do if I have mold?
While we strongly recommend contacting an expert if you have mold, you can try to clean it out yourself if it hasn’t gotten too bad.
To clear a minor mold infestation on your own:
- Scrub all hard surfaces
- Fix all leaks
- Seal small opening
- Clean air ducts
- Dispose of surfaces that absorb moisture
To have a professional take care of your mold for you:
How will I know if the mold is completely gone?
While you can try to get rid of the mold on your own, you won’t be able to be certain about whether it’s all gone unless you get it certified by an independent industrial hygienist.
What are the risks if mold goes untreated?
In extreme cases of untreated mold, symptoms can be devastating:
- Difficulty breathing
- Bleeding gums
- Nose bleeds
- Blurred vision
- In extremely severe cases, growth of cancers
What are next steps?
If you notice any signs of mold in your home, it’s very important to take action as soon as possible. This will help avoid any health issues for you and your family and any property damage for your home.
Contact our mold experts now at 855-352-2281.