Mold PreventionMold can turn into a major problem that makes it difficult for you to sell your home and puts your health at risk. Unfortunately, many people live with mold in their homes for a long time, dismissing signs as being caused by other factors. Spotting mold early and taking a proactive approach to treatment and prevention can help to protect you, your loved ones, and your assets. If you notice any of the following signs, contact a professional to inspect your home for mold.

Strange Odors in the Home

Mold does not always smell exactly the same, so don’t discount an odd smell as something else just because you don’t immediately recognize it as mold. If mold is in the walls or vents, it may take on a different odor depending on the surrounding materials. Mold may also be hidden, so don’t make the mistake of assuming that it isn’t mold because you can’t see it.

Respiratory Problems

Sneezing and congestion are common reactions to mold. If you or your family members experience these symptoms while in the home, but the symptoms subside when you go out, it may be a sign that there is mold in the home. In some cases, symptoms may only present when you are in a certain room, if mold is only growing in one place in the home.

Visible Mold Growth

Sometimes mold is visible and is still missed by homeowners because they do not recognize the appearance of the mold. Mold can be brown, black, white, green, grey, orange, pink, or purple depending on the material that it is growing on and the type of mold. Mold may also hide in grout and other places where it is disguised.

Water Damage

Mold growth occurs in nearly any environment, as long as there is water present. If water damage has occurred, the conditions are most likely right for mold growth. Water damage may cause stains or discolorations on the walls, cause flooring materials or wallpaper to bubble, or may even cause the walls or ceilings to bulge and warp if it continues long enough. If any of these signs are present, mold may be growing already or may begin at any time.

If you notice any of the signs of mold growth, it is important to have professionals come in to inspect and treat the home right away. With the right treatment and mold restoration, you may be able to prevent costly damage while ensuring the safety of your loved ones.